(Remember, festival volunteers are Clearwater ambassadors!)
What the Festival Gives You
- Weekend Pass to the entire festival
- Official volunteer T-shirt
- Seven meals, Friday evening through Sunday evening, plus drinks & snacks in between
- Friday night Volunteer Welcome
- Two parties on Saturday night: a live band at Dance Stage and an acoustic song jam at Kitchawan Lodge
- Camping on-site all weekend
- Opportunity to be a part of the community of festival volunteers
- Opportunity to develop new skills and interests
- An interesting “community service” item for your resume
- Opportunity to contribute to Clearwater’s environmental work and outreach
What You Give to the Festival
- Your Volunteer Donation of $56.50 helps defray part of Clearwater’s costs for your meals, T-shirt, sanitation and administrative efforts.
- You are expected to act in good faith, arrive on time, serve your shifts honestly and act as a good-will ambassador for Clearwater, treating the audience and other volunteers with generosity and respect.
- Volunteer Camping is divided into “Quiet Camping”, where there should be no noise or music after 9pm, and “Night Owl Camping”, where music and visiting are permitted at any time. Everyone will be happier if you abide by these guidelines.
- Eligible to volunteer at the Clearwater Festival
- Eligible to crew for a week aboard the sloop
- Subscription to our newsletter, Clearwater Navigator
- Discounts on tickets, Special Sails on the sloop Clearwater and Hudson River Sloop Clearwater merchandise
- Vote to elect Clearwater’s Board of Directors
- Have your voice heard on regional environmental issues
- Help to bring Clearwater environmental education programs like Classroom of the Waves to disadvantaged schools in the Hudson Valley
Deadline for Applications
Submit by May 22nd, 2013
- Please be kind to your Volunteer Coordinator and your Committee Coordinator by honoring this deadline
- If you come upon this website after the deadline, call Volunteer Coordinator at 845-265-8080 X7105 to see if volunteering is still a possibility for this year
- Acceptances are on a “first come/first served” basis to get your choice of committee
- Final acceptance letter will be sent by email if possible, so please try to provide an individual email for each volunteer. Email confirmations will be batched and sent out periodically. Any volunteer we do not have an active and individual email for will be sent a confirmation to the mailing address provided.
Email Communication Will Be Used as Much as Possible.
There are usually over 900 volunteers working each year at the Festival. Because of this high number, we are attempting to communicate as much as possible this year by email for volunteer requests and confirmations. Please try to provide an individual email address unique for each volunteer, so that we can have all communication directed to each volunteer and send confirmations and volunteer packets by email. This will help save time, paper and money on postage. If you do not have an email address or do not have a unique email for each family member, please notify us about this and we will make accommodations to communicate through other means.
Volunteer Scholarship Fund
Every year many generous volunteers and donors give a little extra to the Volunteer Scholarship Fund to help offset the cost of volunteering, so that those who cannot afford it can still volunteer at the festival. If you would like to inquire about having part of the Volunteer Fee subsidized through the Volunteer Scholarship Fund, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com or (845) 265-8080 ext. 7105. If you would like to contribute to this important fund, please fill out the area on the application form to make a donation.
Arrival and Departure
Plan to be at Reception at the Festival site in Croton-on-Hudson, on Friday, June 14th between Noon & 11pm to check in. Some committees need their volunteers to arrive earlier (see Committee Descriptions).
Most volunteers complete their work and depart on Sunday evening. Some committees need their volunteers to stay later on Sunday or to work on Monday (see Committee Descriptions).
Children, Dogs, Pets, Bikes, Fires
- Volunteering and children: When you are fulfilling your festival volunteer hours, it is important to remember that your non-working children who are under 16 years of age must be supervised by a parent or guardian who is not volunteering at that time.
- Dogs or other domestic animals (except working service dogs) are NOT allowed anywhere on the site, including Volunteer Camping. Please note that the Park permits dogs, but NOT on the Festival grounds. You will not be admitted into the Festival grounds with a dog.
- Bicycles are hazardous in crowded conditions, even in Volunteer Camping, where young children may be playing and running. So, please, NO BICYCLES.
- Fires in designated fire pits ONLY.
Volunteer Camping and Vehicles Over 14 Feet
- Volunteers may not camp in the Volunteer Camping area with a vehicle (car, van, RV, trailer, pop-up, etc.) that is over 14’ long.
- Volunteers can reserve RV sites for the weekend (Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights – $200 flat-rate for a 3 night reservation) through Clearwater (845) 265-8080 x7158.
- Volunteers can reserve an RV site for Thursday night through the Croton Point Park office (914) 862-5290.
- The RV campground is adjacent to the Volunteer Camping area.
- RV sites have electric and water hookups and many have sewer hookups as well.
- Reserve your spot early! They go fast!
- Pay by credit card and transmit your filled-out Volunteer Application online. To use this option you must not be requesting a subsidy, and must be paying by credit card.
- Print out the Volunteer Application in PDF, fill out the form and send it with a check or money order (no cash, please) to:
Attn: Volunteer Coordinator
Hudson River Sloop Clearwater
724 Wolcott Avenue
Beacon, NY 12508
OR Fax to 845-831-2821 with your credit card number.
- If you need to be subsidized, call 845-265-8080 x7105 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions on how to submit your application.
Please proceed to the Committee Descriptions and select your first, second and third choices for your assignment.